Sunday, May 25, 2014

The Heart Wants What it Wants...


Let’s consider this an unofficial poll:

E.T. is pretty ugly right?

I mean, empirically, it is pretty tough to argue that he is not, right? Here are the three features that stick out to me: smashed face, creepy long neck, and dumpy body. That is the description of every terrifying lunch lady I ever had in elementary school. But in 1982ish, I bet every kid my age had that little bastard’s face adorned on something. My personal experience: A hard plastic action figure (as collectors of Star Wars and G.I. Joe merchandise everywhere will tell you, it is an action figure and not a doll. P.S.-they are totally dolls) that had a little button so you could extend his neck to full creepy length, along with a red splotch on his chest* and the tip of his finger to indicate his weird space alien powers. It doesn’t get any more made-in-China ugly than that.

*Does anyone remember the Neil Diamond song based on E.T.? “Turn on Your Heartlight.” This could be the most embarrassing song to come out of the 80s. Good God, the 80s were a creative wasteland. We had hit songs about E.T. and Pac Man. Anyyyywho, Neil Diamond. All I remember is him belting out the name of the song every chorus. It is as horribly glorious as it sounds. If you want to grind everything in a bar to a halt, find this on the juke box. You will get at least 25 “what the hell” looks immediately.

But here’s the deal-I still cry like a little girl every time when E.T. dies. Never fails. Plus, when he is levitating those bicycles, I could not love the little bugger more. He is a hideous looking little creature, but somehow he is more endearing to me than 90% of normal/handsome/beautiful movie characters I watch. For some reason, he got under my skin but good.

I was far from alone in this regard. That move made a gazillion dollars and was seen and universally loved by everyone. It is an easy one to understand. But I am sure there are some other things that are under most people’s radar that aren’t quite so easy to understand. This got me thinking some of the things I unconditionally love, no matter how goofy, ugly, or idiotic they seem to most people. So I have three examples, from three different forms of media. This stuff is not critically loved and almost universally ignored. But for some reason they struck a chord in me and I love them all dearly.

1-Terriors. This show ran of FX for about 33.5 seconds. Or 16 episodes, which is just about identical when we are talking running times. No, it is not a reality show about small dogs, but it obviously has the worst title ever. It is a private eye show about two guys who have a ton of baggage, self-loathing, and regret for two other shows. Did I mention it was really charming? I know that description would seem to indicate you would need to watch with the razor blades safely locked away, but you will just have to trust me. I love how irreverent it is and how the characters are fully shaded people making real decisions. Plus, it has Donal Logue who is just great in everything. Another thing he is in that you probably haven’t heard of is The Tao of Steve. Go check it out, it is pretty great as well.

2-Goon

I arrived to hockey pretty late in life. What can I say, there weren’t a lot of pick-up ice hockey games breaking out in southwest Missouri winters. The sport has grown on me a great deal, though I couldn’t tell you 85.6% of the rules. If you haven’t guessed this is a hockey movie, but you will not have to be a fan to enjoy it. Like all of the best sport movies, it is set in the minor leagues (very much like the best baseball move Bull Durham), and that rough around the edges feel really helps it. This is a completely profane and violent movie that wears its black and blue heart right out on its sleeve. Seann William Scott plays something other than Stiffler’s mom for once, Allison Pill (who is completely wasted on The News Room) is delightful. She plays the love interest as a damaged alcoholic girl who sleeps around too much and makes it work. And Live Schreiber is as good as he has ever been. Just go watch it already.

3-I Love You Beth Cooper-I am talking the book and not the horrid movie here*. The premise of both is the same, but execution is everything. A nerdy high school valedictorian decides to tell a girl he loves her during her commencement speech; hijinks ensue. Dennis, the main character has every possible form of physical abuse and humiliation done to him over the course of the book, but when things finally turn his way…the whole thing just makes me smile. I am pretty sure you can buy this book for about 25 cents now. If you think about this list, I have really provided you with a really cheap week or so of entertainment.

*Why do people let Chris Columbus direct anything? He has never met a kick-to-the-groin joke he doesn't like. So subtle, Mr. Columbus, so subtle.

As I look at that list I see a lot of things in common: Damaged characters, seeking and gaining redemption after some trials…maybe I need the number of a good therapist. Or maybe seeing the common thread is a good thing. I don't know. I am sure everybody has their weird things that they have an unreasonable blind spot for (and I would love to see other people's lists). They say a mother loves her ugly child the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment